Saturday, February 15, 2014

What does it really mean to "leave and cleave?"

Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.


 My sister and I were having a text conversation the other day about what it means to "leave and cleave," as is discussed in the Bible in both Genesis and Mark. (Sara and I had the exact same view about it btw) Adam and I had this very verse at our wedding during the sermon. It doesn't mean that upon being pronounced husband and wife you immediately tell your parents, "Peace out, you don't matter anymore." It simply means that from that point on, you and your new spouse are ONE, and the two of you come before any other relationship. It means you support your spouse no matter what. One can privately disagree with their spouse, but publicly stick up for them NO MATTER WHAT. In every marriage, you are going to have things that one spouse makes a decision about, whether it be financial, lifestyle, you name it, that you might feel like the other person messed up on, but support them. I am guilty of accidentally not fully sticking up for something Adam decided for our family once, and I regret that. He has done the same without meaning to. It's all a learning process of being married. At the end of the day we choose one another first, and everything and everyone else comes second.
In thinking on this topic, I came across an excellent article that I want to share here. Here is the actual link to the article, but I will copy some of the main points here. Again, I did not write this article. The author is Chad Hall.

Some great points from the article to ponder on:

1. Count the cost and be willing to pay the price.  Putting your spouse first, ahead of your parents, can cause anxiety for some newly married folks (and for some who’ve been married a very long time).  True enough.  Nobody said this would be easy.  It can be hard.  I encourage newly- or soon-to-be-married couples to face the fact that cutting the cord with mom and dad is going to be hard.  Welcome to marriage, a relationship that requires hard work.  If you don’t want to difficult things, then don’t get married (or endeavor much of anything else in life).
Admit that that choosing your spouse over your parents is going to be a challenge.  Admit that your parents might be hurt, even angry.  Whatever the topic, admit to yourself that your parents might be right (and your spouse wrong), that you might agree with your parents (and not your spouse), and/or that taking sides with your spouse may make you look like a fool.  Admit these realities and then choose your spouse over your parents anyway.
2. Look for the early win.  When my wife and I first married, we moved into a humble house that we called ‘home.’  When my parents first came to see our new home, I met them in the driveway and walked them to the front door.  Before going in, I said, “I’m really glad you came by, but before I let you in, I want you to know something.  You are welcome to come by anytime you’d like, and we value your visits.  However, this is our home, and so your opinions are not welcome; please leave those at your house.  If that’s a problem, I’d prefer you stay home with your opinions.”  My wife was a bit mortified at my boldness, but my parents appreciated the strong stand and have honored it for the nearly twenty years I’ve been married.
Taking a stand for your spouse will not get any easier than it is at the beginning of your marriage.  Siding with your spouse in a strong, visible, and potent way early (even before the wedding) will set the tone for the new kind of relationship you have with your parents.
3. Don’t apologize for your spouse.  I’ve counseled too many married men who apologize for siding with their wife.  Doing so usually sounds something like, “You know, I would prefer X, but my wife really wants Y.  Sorry.  I’m sure Y is not the best thing, but I should go with her wishes, otherwise there’ll be hell to pay.”  What a wimp!
When we treasure our spouse and honor our vows to “be one” with her, we cannot and do not offer apologies for siding with her.  We make no apologies for putting her first.  And we never air spousal disagreements with others (including our own parents).  One of the core parenting principles is that parents should always present a unified front in childrearing.  The same principle is no less true when relating to our parents.  If you disagree with your spouse, tell her, not your parents.  It dishonors your spouse and drives a harmful wedge between the two of you—whether she learns of your apology or not.
There are many other keys to a great marriage, but the way we relate to parents is especially important because it demonstrates the lengths to which we will go to put our spouse first.  What about you?  To what lengths will you go?  To what lengths are you going?  Where are you coming up short?

No comments:

Post a Comment